Saturday 12 October 2013

70s Saturday Sci-Fi Scans

It surprises me how quickly I run out of queued up posts, but at least I will not run out of books! I'll be photographing a whole bunch to show off in the coming Saturdays in between dashing to a couple of Thanksgiving dinners this weekend. Today I picked a book that I am quite fond of, Larry Niven's 1971 short story collection...

All The Myriad Ways





This collection contains some of Niven's most famous stories such as "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" which makes a clear case for why a relationship between Lois Lane and Superman is ultimately doomed, and one of my favourites, "Wait It Out", about astronauts stranded on Pluto. If I remember right, the cover depicts "Inconstant Moon", as illustrated by Dean Ellis. Niven toys with hard science fiction, humour and speculation in a very carefully crafted way. I really prefer short stories over novels, and not just because they are quicker to read. The format gives the author room to zoom in on a few ideas and a few characters, instead of adding more and more. Filler in books is just as unappetizing as filler in sausages. But I guess really this post is filler too :-D Have a great Thanksgiving if you're in Canada, and enjoy your long weekend if you are American!

No comments:

Post a Comment